Kommandeering Developers Everywhere

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Juxtaposing the Ming and Mogol Yuan Dynasties

Give me any topic, as my friends will agree, and I can rant on it until any and all listeners within earshot vacate the area. And then usually another 10 minutes. Topical knowledge in no way hinders me from forming opinions and taking an easily-assailed authoritative stance.

So, I go to this page. Do I know the background of this project? No. Do I know if the developers of KCall are in the least bit interested in outside advice? No. Have I rigorously gone through the associated mailing lists to learn more about any discussion? No. Do I know any of the people involved or have I even read through all of the documentation provided? Oh come on, this is all rhetorical.

Nonetheless, I will still brand it "Good stuff." Whether this individual case proves to be beneficial to anyone remains to be seen (and probably not me, since I'll be most likely discussing how tectonic plate shifting has impacted the American Sitcom).

But uni students getting applicable exposure to software development, getting in contact with Open Source (and hey, KDE) communities and processes, and professors using group activities to do more than just have students work on some fictitious Acme widget-building company? This begs for a repeatable process of comp sci programs that want to help, and projects that want help.

No, I don't care whether it's a French Club in Ohio doing translations for extra credit or an MBA program in Brazil doing a competitive analysis or an graphic design school in Tokyo making Konqi Anime or a C++ class refactoring code semester after semester with each incoming class. Finding sensible, autonomous projects and pairing groups up is super-hyper-gigacool vas-y vas-y! (stolen from a French play I read once)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home